Pentredŵr School was built by Denbighshire council and first opened in 1909.
It replaced a smaller church school in Eglwyseg. As a purpose built school it gave many more children the chance to learn to read and write.
At that time, the rural population was much greater and families larger. The Berwyn Slate quarry was a major employer, bringing new families to the area. It was not uncommon for families of up to 20 people to live in the same house.
On the eleventh of January 1909, 30 children enrolled at the new school. By the beginning of February 1910 there were 60 children between the ages of 6 and 14 on the school register.
In the 60’s and 70’s Pentredwr was a popular school, favoured for its Welsh education. Children were even bused in from Llangollen to attend. By 1982 numbers were dwindling and the school closed. It was bought by the Pentredŵr and District Community Association for use as a Community Centre.
Former pupils and staff from Pentredŵr School have been invited to share their stories and experiences of school days and village life over its 75 year history.
Pentredŵr Community Association has formed a partnership with Making Sense Community Interest Company, with funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund and support from Llangollen Museum, to capture these memories for future generations.
To find out “Who went to Pentredŵr” join the Facebook page Pentredwr and District Community Association.